A great idea for a quick and easy lunch or dinner side that packs a whole lot of flavor, this shaved asparagus and prosciutto salad is sure to please a crowd.
When Ontario asparagus season strikes, the farm stands sell out quickly so we may or may not sneak out of work early to buy a big bunch before they’re gone! While we love asparagus roasted or grilled, shaving it while raw leaves a delicious crunch and retains its strong natural flavor. Pairing with the salty prosciutto and Parmesan, and topping with an lemon vinaigrette gives this dish multiple dimensions that shine through in each bite.
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 lb raw asparagus
- 4 strips prosciutto
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare asparagus by snapping off ends. Shave each stalk with a vegetable peeler, into thin strips. Put in large bowl and set aside.
- Break up strips of prosciutto into squares by breaking with your hands. Add to the asparagus and toss.
- Mix together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper with a whisk. Drizzle over asparagus and prosciutto and toss.
- Serve on a large plate and top with freshly grated Parmesan. Top with more pepper if desired.
Writing this up made me want some more, so brb while I go buy some asparagus!