Finally it’s June , and summer flavours are here to stay!
This gorgeous salad packs a flavour punch, comes together in 10 minutes, and is perfect for a backyard BBQ. (Especially when you don’t want to labour in the kitchen all day when you could be working on your tan.)
- 24 individual bite-size cubes
- 1 medium, or 1/2 of a large seedless watermelon
- 1 cup of feta, crumbled, plus 1 tbsp of the salt water brine
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- fresh black pepper
- sea salt
- handful of mint leaves, ripped into small pieces
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- Cut half a large seedless watermelon into 1 inch x 1 inch cubes. Arrange on a large tray.
- Make the topping: Mix feta, a spoonful on the salt water brine, shallots, garlic, a hefty grind of fresh black pepper and sea salt, mint, lime juice, and EVOO. Adding a tablespoon of balsamic glaze to this would also be delicious.
- Spoon (I just use my fingers) half a teaspoon of topping onto each cube of watermelon. Once all topping is used, pour the remaining juice in the bottom of the bowl over the watermelon cubes.
- Place in the fridge for the flavours to seep into the watermelon and wait to eat for as long as your self restraint allows. (For the record, I waited 45 seconds and these were delicious!)