It’s time to officially learn the proper pronunciation of our favorite grain / protein. Say it with us now, “keen-wah”, “keeeeen-wah”. No more excuses you “quin-oah” lovers!
This is a great vegetarian salad that still packs a protein punch, thanks to the quinoa. You can add whatever fruits / veggies your heart desires to the salsa like topping to make it your own. We used mango and tomatoes, and then topped it with some thinly sliced avocado, red onion, and a lemon ginger vinaigrette. Mix in your favorite greens and you’ve got yourself a healthy lunch!
I love making lunches for a few days at a time – that way I’m more likely to stay healthy during the week than grab something at work or rummage through the fridge in the morning. Make the dressing and store it in a separate tupperware in the fridge. Dress the salad the morning of and you’ve got yourself lunch for 3 days!
Yield: 3 servings
- 3 cups spring greens (or yours of choice – arugula, romaine, etc.)
- 1/2 dried quinoa
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey (try agave nectar if vegan)
- 1/2 tsp ginger (use fresh and chop into a paste – the dressing will get a grainy texture if powder is used)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a medium sized pot, bring 1 cup of water to boil. Drizzle with olive oil and a few cracks of salt. Once boiling, add 1/2 cup of quinoa. Turn heat down to medium and cook until water is evaporated, about 12 minutes.
- Dice mango and tomato and set aside together in a bowl. Once quinoa has cooled, add to mango and tomato, and stir to combine. I like the fruit-quinoa ratio to be pretty high.
- Prepare the other components of the salad – toss a bed of greens, scoop quinoa mixture on top, and top with sliced avocado and red onion. If serving immediately, dress the greens and quinoa separately.
- Mix ingredients for the dressing and whisk until emulsified. Store in an airtight container and shake up again before dressing.