“Almost Good For You Cookies”….kind of an oxymoron right? These started as a kitchen experiment at my parent’s house when I was looking for something sweet. My mom and dad are two of the healthiest eaters I know and never have any of the good stuff in their pantry! So, I threw together what seemed like a whole lot of random ingredients – maple syrup, cashews, chia seeds? – and hoped for the best.
Unsure how long to bake them for, I went for the smell factor. And wow, did the kitchen smell great! I had to do a taste test before letting anyone else try them (for scientific reasons of course..), and they definitely turned out really well! The tough part was trying to remember what and how much of everything I put in here. A second batch will do the trick!
These make a great grab and go breakfast, afternoon snack, or even after-workout boost. Add whatever fix-ins you desire to change up the flavour!
Yield: 24 cookies
- 1 1/4 cup oats
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup crushed cashews
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (prunes used here – natural sweetener!)
- 1/2 toblerone bar
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine all oats, chia seeds, almond flour, shredded coconut, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate smaller bowl, cream together coconut oil and brown sugar. Add in egg and maple syrup.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl and mix with a silicone spatula. The batter is thick and pretty dry, so it’s more of a fold than a stir.
- Add in fix-ins – toblerone, chopped prunes, and cashews in this case.
- Prepare the cookie sheet by adding a piece of parchment or Silpat baking mat to prevent the cookies from sticking.
- Using your hands, ball up batter to about 3/4 inch in diameter. Place on cookie sheet roughly 2 inches apart. Lightly press down. These cookies do not spread or rise very much, so ensure they look like the shape you want when they go in the oven.
- Bake for 14 – 16 minutes, until bottoms are golden brown.
- One out of the oven, let cool for 20 minutes until slightly hardened.