If pancakes don’t scream Sunday morning, I don’t know does. These are so light and fluffy and can be customized to your flavour preference. Lemon-ricotta or coconut cream are easily added in! My favourite is combo is blueberries with more blueberries. I usually add a handful of fresh berries to the batter and then cover in this Blueberry Compote.
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 C flour
- ¼ C sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ C buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Melt the butter in the microwave and cool.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk and add the buttermilk, vanilla and butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed: do not over mix! It will still look lumpy.
- Heat a griddle or pan with a small amount of vegetable oil on medium heat, pour batter in, and flip when the bubbles appear on the top and the bottom is golden brown.
- Serve with your favourite toppings, or my blueberry sauce below.
- 1 C blueberries, frozen
- Splash of water
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Add blueberries and water to a saucepan on medium-high heat. Cover with a lid a let mixture come to a simmer.
- Once bubbling add sugar and lemon zest. Add more water if mixture looks too thick. The blueberries will naturally release their juices to help make a sauce.
- Pour over pancakes while hot!
- You can use the extra sauce to make yogurt parfaits or serve it alongside vanilla bean ice cream.