Every now and then I go through phases of ultimate obsession over things – songs, models (Gigi Hadid anyone?), gaming apps, shoes, and foods. Right now? MANGOES. Seriously, it’s gotten to the point where I eat one every day and it’s hurting my wallet. Here’s a few reasons why I love the tropical fruit:
- On their own, they make a great sweet snack.
- They add a natural thickness and sweetness to smoothies.
- Their sweetness pairs amazingly with spicy, sour and salty ingredients.
Given my obsession, you may point out the lack of mango recipes as of late. Well, the simple answer is that I haven’t photographed any of it. By the time I get home, peel the mango, cut around the pit, and chop into normal human sized pieces, I just can’t wait anymore. I was much more strategic with this salsa however! I made a huge batch so I can use it in tacos, throw it in salad, and also snack on it on its own. Excellent, I can eat it first and still take photos after! This time, I’m using it as a topping on homemade soft shell tortillas with a side of Muskoka Detour beer.
Enough of my rambling, here’s the super easy recipe for Chunky Mango Salsa:
Yield: 1 cup
- 2 large ripe mangoes, thinly sliced in strips.
- 1/4 cup pickled red onion (pickled cabbage would work well here, too)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Pinches of:
- Black Pepper
- Red Chili Flakes
- Prepare the mangoes. First, peel using the edge of a knife or a fruit peeler. Cut each side as close to the pit as possible. Lay each quadrant flat side on the counter and slice lengthwise is thin strips. Place in bowl and set aside.
- Drain onion from pickling liquid and add to mangoes.
- Chop cilantro and add to onions and mangoes.
- Finally, spice with salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
That’s all! Only 3 ingredients plus spices and you’ve got yourself a versatile and delicious condiment.