I can go on and on about my love for summer. Everyone is happier and healthier when the days are longer.
One thing is for certain, our house is always full of baskets of ripe berries and fresh farmers market finds.
Mid-July is blueberry season at our cottage. We pick and pick and pick, and end up freezing bags of berries to bake with throughout the year. These muffins are packed full of berries and then topped with more berries.
Remember that Blueberry Compote I used last week on top of pancakes? Here’s another use for it – swirl a teaspoon of it into blueberry muffins before baking. I hope you love these as much as my family did!
- 1 c blueberries
- 1 c white sugar
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 3/4 c plain yogurt
- 1/4 c milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 c flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp melted butter
- Make the streusel topping: combine the white sugar, brown sugar, salt and flour in a small mixing bowl. Once evenly mixed, slowly add the melted butter. Use a fork to combine until the mixture is evenly moistened and chunky. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Make the Blueberry Compote.
- Make the muffins, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and white sugar until thick.
- Slowly whisk in the butter and oil into the egg mixture.
- Whisk in the yogurt, milk, and vanilla into the egg mixture.
- Slowly fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture, also adding blueberries as you go. Fold until just combined – batter should still be lumpy. Do not over-mix.
- Fill your muffin tin with parchment paper muffin cups. Use a large spoon to evenly fill all the muffin cups. (The batter should completely fill the muffin tins. You should get 12 full muffins.)
- Spoon 1 tsp of the blueberry compote on top of each cup of muffin. Use a toothpick to swirl the berry mixture into the muffin batter.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the muffins until covered.
- Place in the oven to bake for 17 minutes. (The topping should be golden brown and if you insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin it will come out clean.)
- Remove from oven and let the muffin tin sit for 5 minutes. Then transfer the muffins to a wire rack and let cool.