I’m back from 5 days in Atlanta, sweating it out in 95F (ahem, 35C) weather. Somehow, the warm weathered followed me home and it’s been just as humid back here in Toronto! This calls for easy summertime snacks that are healthy, tasty, and cooling. In comes frozen yogurt.
Frozen yogurt? Isn’t that stuff packed with sugar? Yes. Yes it is. Instead of walking to your nearest self-serve froyo shop, try your own with this dippin’ dots inspired version. You can create any flavour starting with plain yogurt, or use a pre-made flavour from the store shelves. My personal favourite is key lime, but I love the taste of fresh vanilla bean so I had to make my own!
This is one of my favourite summer time snacks, let us know some of yours! We’d love to hear from you and maybe try your favourites out for ourselves 🙂
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 vanilla bean (or 3/4 tbsp vanilla)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup sugar (white or brown)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Fill a piping bag with yogurt mixture.
- TIP: If you don’t have a piping bag, scoop yogurt into a sandwich bag and cut a small hole in one of the corners. Voila! DIY Piping bag.
- Prepare freezer plate by placing wax or parchment paper over a cookie sheet.
- Pipe small circles (about the size of a penny – everyone still remembers those, right?) directly onto parchment.
- Place in freezer for 2 – 3 hours and pop off when complete.
- Eat quickly before they melt! I usually put them back in the freezer after snacking on some – they re-freeze pretty well, though slightly stuck together.