My signature side dish (or main if you’re as obsessed as I am) are haricots vert (extra-thin, firm, non-waxy French green beans).
I change up my add-ins all the time but this is my family’s favourite! The feta adds some saltiness, the panko crumbs and slivered almonds add a perfect crunch, and the shallots and tomatoes round out of flavour profile. You feel like you are eating the ultimate comfort food when you eat these. Mmm good!
P.S. You can buy a large 1lbs. bag of these from Costco for $4.99. They last a really long time surprisingly!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 pounds fresh green beans
- 1/3 C slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 C tricolour grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 C feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 C panko bread crumbs
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olvie oil and shallots. Allow them to get lightly browned, stirring every few minutes. After about 4 minutes add the green beans & tomatoes and turn the heat up to medium / high. The shallots will continue to cook with the beans.
- Cook the beans until they are bright green and cooked, but still slightly crunchy. This takes about 5 minutes. You don’t want wimpy and wilted beans!!
- Remove the bean mixture from the skillet and place aside in a small bowl while you make the crunchy garlic breadcrumbs.
- Add coconut oil to the skillet at medium heat and let it melt. Add the garlic and stir constantly for a minute while the garlic cooks. Add the panko bread crumbs, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Let the bread crumbs toast for about a minute as the mixture thicken and becomes crunchy.
- Add the beans back to the pan and toss with the toasted almond and feta for about one minute until everything is nicely mixed and warm. Don’t let the cheese melt too much!
- Remove from heat, Serve and Enjoy!