After a long week, don’t we all deserve a little indulgence? Our health shouldn’t be the sacrifice as we dive for the fried fast food. There are ways, though a little more difficult than pulling up to the nearest drive through, to recreate your favorite indulgences at a fraction of the calories. My go-to recipe comes from Serena at Domesticate Me for her crispy baked chicken nuggets. Girl has tried and tried and figured out how to create the perfect crispiness while cutting the calories and fat.
It’s all about the double dip. If you don’t have time or don’t remember to soak your chicken tenders in buttermilk a few hours before dinner, do the double dip breading method! Set up your station of whisked egg, followed by your choice of breading, followed by the wire rack. Begin your double dip by placing all the tenders in the egg, then to the breading, back to the egg, back to the breading, and finally onto the greased wire rack. By baking your nuggets on the wire rack, there is a lot less loss of breading than if you were to bake directly on a flat cookie sheet.
This next double dip is key for crispiness. Once your nuggets are on the rack, spray each one with cooking spray before baking. Bake for 10-12 minutes, remove from the oven, flip again, and spray the other side before baking for an additional 10-12 minutes. Once finished, your nuggets should be perfectly browned, breaded, and crispy ready for eating.
We finished off with a favourite dipping sauce, which is only 5 ingredients and takes 2 minutes to whip up. Keep reading for the recipe!
Yield: 8 nuggets
- 2 chicken breasts, or pre-portioned chicken tenders
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp Montreal steak spice
- 2 eggs
- Coconut Oil cooking spray
For the dipping sauce (approx. 1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Siracha
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise, sour cream, or Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 Farenheit. Prepare chicken by slicing each breast lengthwise into 4 pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare your dipping station. Whisk two eggs in a bowl, mix together Panko break crumbs, paprika, and stead spice in a separate bowl and place next to the egg. Spray a wire rack with cooking spray and place atop a cookie sheet. Place the two next to the bread crumbs…and you’re ready!
- Dunk all chicken tenders into the eggs and place in bowl to coat with crumbs. Repeat process – really press the crumbs into the chicken.
- Place breaded tenders on the wire rack and spray tops with cooking spray. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flip, spray again, and finish off for another 10-12 minutes.
- While nuggets are baking, prepare the dipping sauce by whisking together all ingredients.