It’s Monday, and after a weekend of treating myself (ahem, every weekend) I’m craving something green but yet tasty for dinner.
I’m a kale lover. Kale in smoothies, kale chips, kale Caesar salads, sautéed kale on my pizza, I just love it. The trick is massaging your kale and giving time for the flavours to work its way into the kale, no matter what you are using it for.
This is a perfect side to grilled chicken/salmon, or even acts as a main if you’ve had a big lunch (and are saving room for dessert…).
I promise you this is a win. It’s…
• Crunchy (hello pomegranates)
• Sweet (only pure Canadian maple syrup)
• Creamy (the avocado makes this salad feel decadent)
• Long lasting (make ahead of time and store in the fridge for a day)
If you end up making this, give us a shout and tag @mindovermarmalade. We’d love to see what you are making. xo
• 1 bunch lacinato, kale (not dinosaur or purple kale), center ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
• 3 C thinly brussel sprouts, thinly chopped
• 1 small shallot, minced
• ½ lemon, juiced
• 2 tsp pure maple syrup
• ¾ C pomegranate seeds
• 1 avocado, diced
• ¼ C shaved parmesan cheese
• Sea salt
• Fresh ground pepper
1. Wash kale, remove center ribs, chip leaves. Place in large bowl and drizzle with 1 tbsp of EVOO. Massage the kale with your hands for three minutes. The leaves will start to turn dark green condense in size, and become tender.
2. Heat a tbsp of EVOO in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sliced brussel sprouts and cook for 3 minutes, they will turn bright green and some may even begin to brown. Remove from heat.
3. Make dressing by whisking together shallot, lemon juice, maple syrup, 2 tsp EVOO, salt, pepper.
4. Add the brussel sprouts, pomegranate seeds, and chopped avocado to the massaged kale. Drizzle with the dressing and combine.
5. Serve in bowls with a shave of fresh parmesan on top and a few more pomegranate seeds.
6. If you have leftovers, they keep well in the fridge and are just as good the next day