Eating healthy while on the road can be difficult at times – M&M’s for dinner or airport sushi (again)? I choose the M&M’s more than I care to admit. By the time I get home on the weekends, my body is craving fresh, healthy, homemade food. What’s healthier than a kale salad?
To make this salad into an entree, I added quinoa and halloumi as protein elements. To add even more of a Mediterranean flare, I added the delicious lemon-tahini dressing from Oh She Glows, as well as roasted okra, eggplant, and carrot.
I hope for the day when kale salad sounds more tempting than M&Ms….
Read on for the recipe!
- 1 bunch black kale, de-ribbed (?) and shredded
- 1/2 cup okra, sliced
- 1 small purple eggplant, sliced
- 1 large carrot, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 4 thick slices halloumi cheese
- 2 tbsp flour or cornstarch
- 3 tbsp tahini
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Toss okra, eggplant, and carrot with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on baking pan and roast for 15 minutes, flipping occasionally.
- While vegetables are roasting, shred kale. Begin by slicing out thick ribs, and then finely chop. Set aside in a bowl.
- Prepare dressing by vigorously whisking together all ingredients until emulsified.
- Add dressing to kale and massage for 5 minutes to breakdown some of the fibers in the kale. Add in cooked quinoa and stir.
- Prepare halloumi. Preheat a small frying pan over high heat. Roll halloumi in flour and place in pan. Cook each side for approximately 30 seconds, until brown.
- Plate salad beginning with kale and quinoa. Top with roasted veggies and halloumi. Squeeze some extra lemon juice on top for extra flavour, and enjoy!