My basic breakfast scone recipe has been my go-to for a quick weekend breakfast treat. It uses oats, whole-grain flour, and coconut oil instead of butter – so you can really justify it as a healthier alternative to the traditional (and delicious) cheddar and chive. You can also substitute out the milk for oil and water, making this a scrumptious and easy vegan treat!
There’s no time spent waiting for the dough to rise, no heavy mixing, and a short bake time, so these are the perfect weekend morning project for yourself or for the family!
Enjoy your Sunday, and read on for the recipe 🙂
Yield: 8 mini-scones
- Basic Breakfast Scones
- Handful blackberries, cut in halves
- Handful fresh cherries, or preserved sour cherries
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/2 tbsp sour cherry glaze (I just used the jelly portion of the preserved cherries – if you’re using fresh cherries, boil a handful with 1-2tbsp sugar and 1-2tbsp water. Use the liquid portion as glaze)
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prepare scones.
- Fold in preserved cherries and blackberries.Turn dough onto floured counter surface, and form into 2 discs 1/2 inch thick. Cut discs into 4 scones.
- Place scones on greased cookie sheet. Don’t worry about spacing, scones remain roughly the same size throughout baking.
- Bake scones for 23 minutes and set onto wire rack to cool.
- Prepare glaze by whisking together all ingredients. Spoon over cooled scones and serve. Enjoy!